"Freedom of the press belongs to the man who owns one."
A. J. Liebling
Who Really Determines What You Will Or Will Not See On TV Or
Read In The Newspaper?
In the early years of our democracy the "free
press" was all that stood between greedy corporate interests, government
corruption and you and I. While many newspapers were controlled by wealthy
individuals such as William Randolph Hearst, who influenced the content of the
news in his papers, a kind of journalistic "Hippocratic oath" seemed to prevail
across the country as reporters and publishers at small papers usually chose to
pursue the truth in reporting.
Local papers, TV stations and radio outlets were owned
mostly by local individuals with an interest in their community. That began to
change as a powerful institution known as the Council On Foreign Relations
gained power and the trend toward total corporate media control rapidly
the Bush era with media consolidation.
Suddenly the old rule that one corporation
could not own all of the town's news outlets was gone. Companies like Clear
Channel Communications suddenly began to buy up every radio station, TV outlet
and newspaper in major markets, effectively controlling everything that people read,
watched and heard. The pattern of media consolidation has increased during the
last eight years to the point that now only a few corporations control the news
that we watch.
Just like the quote above, he who owns the media, controls the
media. With such powerful platforms they are able to drown out independent media
and control public opinion and government policy. There can be no freedom
without freedom of the press and there can be no freedom of the press if only a
few powerful corporations are allowed to own it.
What Liberal or Right Wing Media? It's Just Corporate Media.
Who really controls the media? Is the so called "liberal
media" that the right complains about controlled by Hollywood and liberal
special interests? Is Fox News controlled by the Republican Party? If you
believe any of these generalizations you are dead wrong and the truth will shock
Major multinational corporations,
Middle Eastern sovereign wealth funds and Saudi Princes, all hell bent on
protecting their own interests, choose what you will see on the nightly news and
trick you into believing it is unbiased reporting. As we see below all the major
news outlets, regardless of what they make you believe, contributed heavily to
George W. Bush in both 2000 and 2004 so any argument that they are controlled by
liberals evaporates. In this case they all supported the candidate that promised
to allow consolidation of multiple media companies.
The very news stories that you are fed by the mainstream media
are manipulated to mirror the public relations campaigns of companies that
operate nuclear plants, sprawling theme parks that gobble up wetlands, defense
contractors, oil companies and even Saudi Princes. Remember the old "Outer
Limits" TV shows where the announcer says "We control everything you see and
hear, the vertical, the horizontal," etc? The corporate controlled
news media controls all you see and hear.
Here are the top twenty media corporations in the U.S.
according to mediaowners.com All
but two of the following, #18 and #19 are not members of the Council On Foreign
1. Time Warner Inc.
2. Walt Disney Company
3. Viacom Inc.
4. News Corporation
5. CBS Corporation
6. Cox Enterprises
7. NBC Universal
8. Gannett Company, Inc.
9. Clear Channel Communications Inc.
10. Advance Publications, Inc.
11. Tribune Company
12. McGraw-Hill Companies
13. Hearst Corporation
14. Washington Post Company
15. The New York Times Company
16. E.W. Scripps Co.
17. McClatchy Company
18. Thomson Corporation
19. Freedom Communications, Inc.
20. A&E Television Networks
Who Owns The Media? Industry Giants, Saudi Princes and Australian
Here is a breakdown of the "Liberal"
media ownership By Corporations. Next Read Who Owns the "Conservative Media".
"GE, Not Just Light Bulbs Anymore"
GENERAL ELECTRIC - NBC (In
they 2000 donated 1.1 million to George W Bush for his election campaign)
* NBC: Owns outright 13 stations and many affiliates, Market penetration: 28% of
* NBC Network News: Owns The Today Show, Nightly News with Tom Brokaw, Meet the
* CNBC business network, MSNBC 24-hour cable and Internet news service (co-owned
by both NBC and Microsoft); Court TV (co-owned with Time Warner), Bravo
(50%), A&E (25%), History Channel (25%).
The MS in MSNBC stands for Microsoft, Bill Gate's Microsoft donated
2.4 million in 2000 to get George W Bush elected.
* GE Consumer Electronics and Household Products and components used in military
* GE Power Systems, which makes turbines for nuclear reactors, wind turbines,
"clean" coal technology.
* GE Plastics: produces military hardware for fighter jets, ships and nuclear
* GE Transportation Systems: manufactures engines and diesel and electric
WESTINGHOUSE / CBS INC.
"Not Just Fridges Anymore".
Westinghouse Electric Company, part of of the large Nuclear Utilities Business
Group of British Nuclear Fuels.
Which is Headed By Frank Carlucci of the Carlyle Group. A group with very strong
ties to the Bush Administration.
* CBS: Owns outright 14 stations and over 200 affiliates in the US.
* CBS Network News: 60 minutes, 48 hours, CBS Evening News, CBS Morning News.
* Country Music Television, The Nashville Network.
* Group W Satellite Communications.
* Westinghouse Electric Company: provides services to the nuclear power industry
including owning 4 nuclear plants, waste disposal and transport.
The Late Disney Founder, Walt Disney. "Oh how far we have come
DISNEY - ABC
(Donated $640,000 to George W Bush's 2000
* ABC: includes 10 stations outright, many affiliates, Penetration in the
market: 24% of US households.
* ABC Network News: Prime Time Live, Nightline, 20/20, Good Morning America.
* ESPN, Lifetime Television (50%), as well as smaller holdings in A&E, History
Channel and E!
* Disney Channel/Disney Television, Touchtone Television.
Other Major Media Holdings.
* Miramax, Touchtone Pictures.
* Major Magazines: Jane, Los Angeles Magazine, Discover.
* Three recording labels, twelve major local newspapers.
* Hyperion books.
* Infoseek search engine.
Major shareholders include Sid R. Bass, oil and
Disney's environmental and social record: Source
Just On The Coffee Table Anymore".
TIME-WARNER TBS - AOL (In 2000 they
donated 1.6 million to George Bush's political campaign)
America Online (AOL) acquired Time Warner which was the largest merger in
* CNN, HBO, Cinemax, TBS Superstation, Turner Network Television, Turner Classic
Movies, Warner Brothers Television, Cartoon Network, Sega Channel, TNT, Comedy
* Largest cable system owner with an estimated 13 million
* HBO Productions, Warner Home Video, New Line Cinema, Castle Rock, Looney
* Music: Atlantic, Elektra, Rhino, Sire, Warner Bros. Records, EMI.
* Thirty three major magazines including Time, Sports Illustrated, People
Magazine, In Style, Fortune, The Book of the Month Club, Entertainment Weekly,
Life Magazne, DC Comics, MAD Magazine.
Other major corporation Holdings:
* Sports Teams and Wrestling: The Atlanta Braves, The Atlanta Hawks, World
Now For The "Conservative News Media"
"The real Darth Vader?"
Why did Australian Rupert Murdoch forsake his
native country and become a U.S. citizen? Reportedly it was because he could
save on taxes and start over in virgin territory after leaving behind so much
scorched earth in the Australian economy as he laid waste to his business
opponents and bought up media outlets. Or perhaps it was just
so he could get around foreign media ownership laws. (Which no longer exist.)
Does a Saudi billionaire actually have the
power to control the news on the Fox network, of which he is a part owner?
NEWS CORPORATION LTD. / FOX NETWORKS
(Rupert Murdoch, numerous donations. On Board of Directors of Phillip Morris, Phillip Morris
Donated 2.9 million to Bush's campaign.
Major Television Holdings:
* Fox Television: includes 22 major and many affiliate stations,
Penetration into more than 60% of US households.
* Fox International: extensive worldwide cable and satellite networks include
British Sky Broadcasting (40%); VOX, Germany (49.9%); Canal Fox, Latin America;
FOXTEL, Australia (50%); STAR TV, Asia, IskyB, India; Bahasa Programming Ltd.,
Indonesia (50%); and News Broadcasting, Japan (80%), major owner of DirecTV.
* The Golf Channel (33%).
Other Major Media Hodings:
* Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight.
* 132 major newspapers (113 in Australia alone) including the New York Post, the
London Times and The Australian.
* Owns 25 magazines including TV Guide and The Weekly Standard.
* Owns HarperCollins books.
Othe Major Corporation Holdings around the word:
* Sports: LA Dodgers, LA Kings, LA Lakers, National Rugby League.
* Ansett Australia airline, Ansett New Zealand airlines.
* Rupert Murdoch is on the Board of Directors of Philip Morris, a major Bush
It's no surprise that corporate robber baron
Rupert Murdoch is a major Bush supporter but who else owns Fox News?
Prince al-Walid bin Talal owns 5.5% of Fox
Prince al- Walid bin Talal stated recently
that he used his influence to change Fox's headlines. During the
recent riots in Muslim neighborhoods in
France Fox was using the term "Muslim Riots" to describe rioting by Muslim
youths and Prince bin Talal claims that called Fox News had them change the
title of the story to "Youth Riots". Source.
In another instance, where supposedly
conservative Fox News should have been up in arms, was the deal by a United Arab
Emirates holding company to buy U.S. ports. Suddenly Fox went from being against
the deal to very supportive of a deal that would have put US container ports in
foreign hands. A U.A.E. sovereign wealth fund also owns major shares of Fox.
The "good ole boys" that hang on every word that
Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly utters might not be so happy when they hear who is
whispering in their idol's ears.
The Council On Foreign Relations and What It Has To Do With
Corporate Control Of The News
What do Dan Rather, Barbara Walters, Jim Lehrer,
Rupert Murdoch, Tom Brokaw and the late William F. Buckley have in common?
They are all members of the CFR, The Council On Foreign Relations. The
stated goal of the CFR is to manipulate the News to bring about a new world
order or corporate control of everything. This is not some weird conspiracy
theory, it is stated in their original charter. Who else belongs to the CFR,
Disney's Michael Eisner and ABC's Thomas Murphy, Tom Johnson, CEO of CNN, Time
Warner's Gerald Levine, and many, many more media CEO's who have merged their
empires under the CFR's guidance.
Here is a good video that traces the history of
news media manipulation by large corporations in the U.S by buying up newspapers
and using institutions such as the Council On Foreign Relations to shape U.S.
policy and public opinion.
Freedom of the press is vital to our democracy.
We need to prevent things like media consolidation, where one company is allowed
to own all the news outlets in any given market. Speak up and stop the corporate
robber barons and the CFR from taking that right away
from us. Contact your senators at
and let them know you are fed up with large corporations
and foreign interests gobbling up our news media.
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Who Owns The News? Media Ownership By Corporations.
Who Owns The News? Media Ownership By Corporations.